Today is the anniversary of …
- The death of Hitler
- The RAF bombing 2 airfields at Port Stanley in the Falklands to stop the Argies from using them
- The death of Ayrton Senna
- The UK’s biggest general one day strike (over a million people)
- The banning of elections in Cuba
- May Day riots in London in 2000
That’s from the BBC’s list but there is another anniversary which the BBC have missed and which, I suspect, will go un-noticed up and down the country. Today is the 300th anniversary of the Act of Union between England and Scotland. Will there be a 301st birthday or will the union be dissolved in the next 12 months? The SNP are predicted to win the Scottish elections on Thursday and that means a referendum on independence. A few weeks back the SNP said that it wouldn’t hold a referendum for a few years but once they’ve got a taste of power it won’t be long.