Bloody buggering Sky, I swear there’s a conspiracy to piss me off.
Two months ago they buggered up my internet connection and then buggered up my phone fixing my broadband. I spent several days arguing with them over the phone that the problem was at the exchange, not my equipment or my phone, the micro filter or the socket. Eventually I got through to someone sensible in their higher level support department who did the unthinkable and didn’t follow the step by step instructions that clearly had no relevance at all to the problem I had and eventually got the problem sorted at the exchange. I managed to figure out the problem despite being in a hotel on a training course but it took several days of phone calls for Sky to catch up with all their gadgetry.
So they fixed my broadband by moving my line from one switch to another and in the process paired my phone up to god knows where, but it wasn’t my phone line! As compensation fro dicking me around entirely unnecessarily, ballsing things up twice and costing me quite a lot of money in phone calls they knocked a fiver a month off my bill for a year. Which they also cocked up, resulting in my getting billed for two half price phone lines instead of one.
Anyway, they sorted all that out and everything was fine until yesterday when we got back from a week’s holiday to find that the internet wasn’t working. There was no heartbeat light on the micro filter (I bought an expensive filter a while ago which tells me when it’s connected to the exchange) and the data light on the router was red which kind of suggests that there was no connection to the exchange. So I did some tests, including trying a spare router which they sent me when there was nothing wrong with my router two months ago.
Eventually they figured out that there was a problem and phoned me back to tell me they’d fixed it. So I asked what was wrong and what they’d done to fix it. There was a pause and a reluctant explanation: they’d done some tests on the line and discovered that it will only support 10mbit/sec so they’d reduced the connection to 10mbit.
Interesting. So my line has supported a connection at over 20mbit/sec for over a year but suddenly, in the space of a week, my line has mysteriously degenerated to the point where it will now only support half the data rate it did before I went on holiday. Is there an explanation? Well, the maximum speed is calculated from the distance from the exchange, the line quality and the quality of the wiring at home. All of which I know and that’s how I know their maths doesn’t add up. According to Kitz, at 900m from the exchange with 13dB downstream attenuation, I should be be able to connect to the exchange at 22mbit/sec with a throughput of just over 20mbit.
As the crow flies I am less than 400m from the exchange so the actual length of cable is probably somewhere between the 0.4km distance from the exchange and the 0.9km they estimate. Regardless, the LLU speeds quoted above are pretty much spot on what I’ve been getting for over a year and nothing has changed. The router is still plugged into the master socket with no extensions and a high quality micro filter.
Anyway, they said that it will take up to 24 hours to put the speed back to 20mbit (5 minutes to reduce it, a day to increase it … hmmm). Needless to say, 24 hours later it’s still connected at 8mbit – not even the 10mbit I was told yesterday that my line could support. Not a happy bunny as you can imagine so I phoned again, went through the same conversations and had another promise to put my connection back to 20mbit.
I pay for 20mbit, my line supports 20mbit, I expect 20mbit! I suspect another battle may be in the offing, let’s see what happens tomorrow.