Talking to a colleague at work about his problems with Orange (pretty much the same we’re having at Chez Wonko), I decided to phone Orange again to see what the score was following my phone call on Saturday. The person I spoke to actually seemed to be doing something so thinking I was on a roll I decided to phone Three again.
The colleague in question had sent me a link to a website that said Three were opting out of network sharing with Orange in areas where they had good coverage. Three think they have good coverage here which is why they turned a mast off so maybe they’d opted out of network sharing where I live? They haven’t but the person I spoke to said “we don’t want you to leave us, let me see if we can fix your problem”.
What have I got to lose? I’m waiting for Mrs Sane to sort out Orange so we can change networks together and like I said on Saturday, if Orange sort out their problem I don’t necessarily need to change networks.
Imagine my surprise when I looked at my phone this morning and it was on Three. Not only was it on Three, it had a full signal. They phoned me today and said they’d changed something at the mast so that I would get coverage while they sorted out another mast for the area which should be operational in about 3-4 months time.